Pesto Portobello Sliders
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
• 2 Portobello mushrooms caps, wipe with a damp cloth to remove debris and stems removed
• Olive oil
• Salt and Pepper
• 2 slices of Provolone cheese, or any cheese you prefer
• 2 Roasted red bell peppers, thinly sliced
• 2 ciabatta rolls, baked according to package directions
• Baby spinach leaves
• Jarred pesto of your preference
With a meaty texture and ability to take on flavor, mushrooms are great substitute for many animal proteins. They are known to be low in calories and fat and pack a punch when it comes to B vitamins and antioxidants. Try this plant-forward recipe to reap all of the benefits mushrooms have to offer.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Brush the Portobello mushroom caps with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place mushrooms on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, flipping the caps halfway through cooking.
3. Slice the ciabatta rolls in half lengthwise. Generously slather bottom half of roll with pesto. Top with mushroom, bell peppers, spinach and top half of roll.
4. Repeat with remaining ingredients and enjoy!
Calories: 196 Carbohydrates: 6g Protein: 8g Fat: 17g